Selling may not be the “oldest profession in the world”, but it’s close. It’s still one of the best ways to make money, and success goes to the one who masters it. Here are tips from some of the masters on how to sell more and succeed in business.
Sales legend Zig Ziglar made millions in sales and sales training. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago, but his advice is still a dead-ringer for how to succeed in this profession.
1. “No attempt to close a sale should be made until you have established value in the prospect’s mind.”
2. “Visualize your customer’s taking ownership of your product.”
3. “Never underestimate the power of a sincere service attitude. Help other people get what they want. Serve and you will succeed.”
4. “A prospect’s nonverbal expressions are often more powerful than words. Fifty-five percent of the prospect’s feelings and attitude are communicated via body language.”
5. (See image)
6. “When a prospect’s nonverbal signals contradict his or her spoken words, trust the nonverbal signal.”
7. “If a prospect goes back to a point covered earlier, help him or her back up the buying decision.”
8. “Use the CHEF method for reading closing signals: Chin or Cheek, Hands, Eyes, Friendly.”
9. “If you are using fewer than six closes on a call, you are not giving your prospect a square deal.”
Brian Tracy is another multi-millionaire salesmen who transitioned into the training business.
Here are his tips for success:
Sales Training Tip # 10: Get Serious
Get serious! Make a decision to go all the way to the top of your field. Make a today decision to join the top 10%. There is no one and nothing that can hold you back from being the best except yourself.
Sales Training Tip # 11: What Is Holding You Back?
Identify your limiting skill to sales success. Identify your weakest single skill and make a plan to become absolutely excellent in that area.
Ask yourself, and your boss, “What one skill, if I developed and did it consistently in an excellent fashion, would have the greatest positive impact on my sales?”
Whatever your answer to this question, write it down, set a deadline, make a plan, and then work on it every day.
Sales Training Tip # 12: Get Around The Right People
Get around the right people. Get around positive, successful people. Associate with men and women who are going somewhere with their lives.
Get away from negative, critical, complaining people. Remember, you cannot fly with the eagles if you continue to scratch with the turkeys.
Business and entrepreneurship guru Robert Kiyosaki got his start in sales. He still uses his sales skills as an entrepreneur, deal maker, and investor.
13. “The ability to sell is the number one skill in business. If you cannot sell, don’t bother thinking about becoming a business owner.”
14. “The more I risk being rejected, the better my chances are of being accepted.”
15. “Selling is the most important skill as an entrepreneur. I’m not talking so much about selling a product so much as selling yourself, team, and deals.”
16. “People who dream small dreams continue to live as small people.”
17. (See image)
Door-to-door sales can be brutal. Blowing past the rejection, keeping your motivation high, and increasing your skills are constant musts in this industry. But, as they said in ancient times, “to the victor goes the spoils.”
Looking for other great tips for selling more? Check out our list of Top 8 Books for Door-to-Door Sales.